WATSONVILLE, CA— Kicking off the week with a momentum-building announcement, today Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo picked up crucial support from the California Council of Laborers of North America (LiUNA) in her bid to represent California’s 30th State Assembly District seat. Previously, Cervantez Alejo secured support from the Laborers Local 270.
In joining Laborers Local 270, Jose Mejia, State Director of California Council of Laborers of North America (LiUNA) released the following statement on behalf of the statewide group recommending her for Assembly:
“It’s time for new leadership, fresh ideas, and the next generation of champions for workers to be elected to serve in the State Capitol. That’s why we’re proud to announce our strong support of Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo for State Assembly. The daughter of farmworkers, Karina understands the struggles that working families grapple with on a daily basis. She has been a bold voice on behalf of workers in our industry and for jobs. We know she’ll make an exceptional Assembly member.”
Moreover, Cervantez Alejo is dominating the race and far-outpacing her competition by every measurement.
1) Commanding Lead in Fundraising:
- Reports released by the candidates in AD-30 last week showed that Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo is leading by a substantial landslide on the fundraising front.
- For the recent report ending on December 31st, Watsonville’s Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo raked-in a whopping $118,000 in new contributions, bringing her total raised to more than $268,000. She maintains a substantial cash-on-hand war-chest of over $238,000.
- Cervantez Alejo has raised roughly 14 times more overall and maintains 11 times more cash on hand than her competitor— two substantial markers of a candidate’s ability to be viable and communicate a message to voters.
- Recently, at the California Democratic Party’s AD-30 “Pre-Convention Caucus” vote, in a stunning blow to her competition, 43 out of 45 total possible votes among eligible delegates– a staggering 96%— voted for Cervantez Alejo over the other Democrat in the race.
- This overwhelming vote resulted in Cervantez Alejo securing a formal recommendation for the California Democratic Party’s official endorsement.
3) Robust Local Media Coverage
4) New Supporters
- Also, recently, Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo announced the support of Santa Cruz County Deputy Sheriffs and AFSCME Council 57. And, in a landslide vote, 49-10, the endorsement of the South County Democratic Club, a powerhouse local organization comprised of scores of politically mobilized grassroots activists.
Beyond today’s news, Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo has amassed an army of support from teachers, nurses, working people, women’s organizations, small business owners, Democratic Party luminaries, and countless others, totaling well over 220 supporters.To view her full list of endorsements, please click here: http://votekarina.com/
To view Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo bio, click here:http://votekarina.com/
For all other information, please visit: www.VoteKarina.com