WATSONVILLE, CA— On the heels of rolling out formidable endorsements from the Silicon Valley Young Democrats and Democratic Women’s Club at Santa Cruz County, today Watsonville’s Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo received the coveted support of the South Bay AFL-CIO Labor Council in her campaign to represent California’s 30th State Assembly District.
According to its website, “The South Bay AFL-CIO Labor Council represents 97 unions and over 100,000 union members in Santa Clara and San Benito counties. For over 50 years the Labor Council has championed the cause of working families in the South Bay. The Labor Council’s primary goal is to advance candidates, causes, and policies that benefit working families. We achieve this objective with a combination of activities, including community organizing, leadership training, campaigning, and issues advocacy. The Labor Council is proud to run the largest, most sophisticated, grassroots political campaign operation in the South Bay.”
After receiving word of the endorsement, Watsonville’s Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo declared:
“Working men and women represent the backbone of our regional economy. With so much at stake in this election, from tackling issues like poverty to income inequality to job creation and more, this endorsement validates my record as the true champion for working families in this race. I’m deeply grateful for the South Bay Labor Council’s support.”
Moreover, Cervantez Alejo is the officially endorsed candidate of the California Democratic Party. She’s also dominating the race and far-outpacing her competition by every measurement.
1) Commanding Lead in Fundraising:
- Recent reports released by the candidates in AD-30 showed that Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo is leading by a substantial landslide on the fundraising front.
- For the recent report ending on December 31st, Watsonville’s Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo raked-in a whopping $118,000 in new contributions, bringing her total raised to more than $268,000. She maintains a substantial cash-on-hand war-chest of over $238,000.
- Cervantez Alejo has raised roughly 14 times more overall and maintains 11 times more cash on hand than her competitor— two substantial markers of a candidate’s ability to be viable and communicate a message to voters.
2) California Democratic Party’s Endorsement
- Also recently, at the California Democratic Party’s AD-30 “Pre-Convention Caucus” vote, in a stunning blow to her competition, 43 out of 45 total possible votes among eligible delegates– a staggering 96%— voted for Cervantez Alejo over the other Democrat in the race.
- This overwhelming vote resulted in Cervantez Alejo securing a formal endorsement from the California Democratic Party at the state convention just weeks ago.
3) Robust Local Media Coverage
- Monterey County Weekly: Karina Cervantez Alejo leads Assembly fundraising contest by huge margin.
- Santa Cruz Sentinel: Watsonville’s Karina Cervantez Alejo wins party endorsement by landslide
- Register- Pajaronian: Cervantez Alejo earns nod from Democratic Party
4) New Supporters
- Also, recently, Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo announced the support of Silicon Valley Young Democrats, Democratic Women’s Club at Santa Cruz County, Salinas Valley Teachers AFT Local 1020, Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC), California Council of Laborers of North America (LiUNA), Santa Cruz County Deputy Sheriffs and AFSCME Council 57. And, in a landslide vote, 49-10, the endorsement of the South County Democratic Club, a powerhouse local organization comprised of scores of politically mobilized grassroots activists.
Beyond today’s news, Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo has amassed an army of support from teachers, nurses, working people, women’s organizations, small business owners, Democratic Party luminaries, and countless others, totaling well over 220 supporters.
To view her full list of endorsements, please click here: http://votekarina.com/endorsements/
To view Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo bio, click here:http://votekarina.com/meet-karina/meet-karina/
For all other information, please visit: www.VoteKarina.com
Paid for by Karina Cervantez Alejo for State Assembly 2016.