WATSONVILLE, CA— Representing another tremendous victory and a demonstration of the district-wide strength of her campaign, today Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo earned the highly coveted support of the Salinas Valley Federation of Teachers AFT Local 1020 in her effort to represent California’s 30th State Assembly District seat.
In announcing their backing of Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo, Salinas Valley Federation of Teachers Local 1020 PresidentKati Bassler released the following statement:
“Salinas Valley Federation of Teachers AFT Local 1020 is excited to announce our enthusiastic support of Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo for State Assembly. As an educator at CSU Monterey Bay, Karina has a unique grasp of the challenges that teachers face everyday. She also understands the need for a new generation of leadership in Sacramento to think long-term about how to improve local schools and our overall education system. Karina not only represents the new generation of leadership we need, but we know she’ll put words into action and deliver tangible results for local schools, students, parents and teachers.”
Today’s news follows a week of major announcements, including endorsements from California Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC) and from California’s former Lt. Governor Cruz Bustamante.
Moreover, Cervantez Alejo is dominating the race and far-outpacing her competition by every measurement.
1) Commanding Lead in Fundraising:
- Recent reports released by the candidates in AD-30 showed that Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo is leading by a substantial landslide on the fundraising front.
- For the recent report ending on December 31st, Watsonville’s Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo raked-in a whopping $118,000 in new contributions, bringing her total raised to more than $268,000. She maintains a substantial cash-on-hand war-chest of over $238,000.
- Cervantez Alejo has raised roughly 14 times more overall and maintains 11 times more cash on hand than her competitor— two substantial markers of a candidate’s ability to be viable and communicate a message to voters.
- Also recently, at the California Democratic Party’s AD-30 “Pre-Convention Caucus” vote, in a stunning blow to her competition, 43 out of 45 total possible votes among eligible delegates– a staggering 96%— voted for Cervantez Alejo over the other Democrat in the race.
- This overwhelming vote resulted in Cervantez Alejo securing a formal recommendation for the California Democratic Party’s official endorsement.
3) Robust Local Media Coverage
4) New Supporters
- Also, recently, Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo announced the support of Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC), California Council of Laborers of North America (LiUNA), Santa Cruz County Deputy Sheriffs and AFSCME Council 57. And, in a landslide vote, 49-10, the endorsement of the South County Democratic Club, a powerhouse local organization comprised of scores of politically mobilized grassroots activists.
Beyond today’s news, Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo has amassed an army of support from teachers, nurses, working people, women’s organizations, small business owners, Democratic Party luminaries, and countless others, totaling well over 220 supporters.
To view her full list of endorsements, please click here: http://votekarina.com/endorsements/
To view Watsonville Mayor Pro-Tem Karina Cervantez Alejo bio, click here:http://votekarina.com/meet-karina/meet-karina/
For all other information, please visit: www.VoteKarina.com